Werner Addition & Renovation
Second floor addition and complete exterior and interior remodel of 1920s home.
This home remodel, which was originally a 1920s church relocated from Hyde Park, included a second story addition to nearly double the square footage of the home, and a full interior and exterior renovation. The original church had been substantially modified after the original move and again in the early 90s, with little remaining of the original historic fabric.
This 4-star Austin Green Energy Building Program rated home was selected for the 2011 Austin Cool House Tour which features homes with innovative energy efficient designs. The design focused on maximizing light and spaciousness within the modest sized footprint. The original roof and wall materials, which were beautiful old-growth Longleaf Pine and Cedar boards, were carefully salvaged and incorporated into the exterior facade and soffits.
Additional Green design features include:
- Removed materials were recycled or reused by neighbors
- Metal roof contained 50% recycled materials and was manufactured locally
- Thermally broken aluminum windows provide high energy efficiency while providing ample natural lighting, helping to reduce daytime light usage
- Rain water collection system and native landscaping
- Energy efficient lighting and appliances